Spring is here… well almost. But we know that many of you may be getting ready to fire up your grill. Fire up the grill, bring on the steak, it is time to barbecue. But be safe. Did you know that there were over 8,000 home fires that started form gills? 27% of these were stated on a balcony or porch. Every year over 7,000 people are injured while grilling.
Grilling safety tips
- Clean your gill before you start the new season.
- Always check for leaks on gas grills.
- Keep paper and other flammables away from the grill.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Never BBQ inside, in a garage, on the roof or on a second story deck
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
- Open the grill lid before you light it.
- Don’t wear loose fitting clothing.
- Keep a fire extinguisher outside or close by.
- Never bring the propane tank into the house.
- Make sure you use the grill 10 feet away from your house.
- Don’t over indulge in alcohol while barbecuing.
- Always clean your grill after every use. Don’t allow grease to build up.